What's not to love about warm, melted cheese and salty tortilla chips? Queso or salsa with chips is one of my favorite appetizers. Here's an easy snack to make for your next party (Cinco de Mayo is coming up soon!) since it only takes about 15 minutes to put together. The American cheese melts so smoothly and kept in a crockpot, it will stay warm for the whole party.
I used Monterrey Jack with the White American and one jalapeno with the ribs and seeds removed since I knew Caitlin would want to dip her own chips. Made this way, there was no heat to the dip, so if you like some kick, you could add any combination of the following: extra jalapenos, a serrano pepper, a habanero if you're crazy, hot sauce, or use pepper jack cheese instead.
Source: Confections of a Foodie Bride
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (veggie, olive, canola - whatever you have)
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
- 12 oz white American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (optional; don't use pre-shredded)
- 1/4-2/3 cup cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
- 1-2 roma tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Heat the oil in a saute pan. Cook the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low.
Add the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of the cream. Stir until mostly melted.
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.